Malone Superfund Site
PNL performs as group project coordinator and overall technical manager.
Malone is a 150-acre Superfund site in Texas City, TX, where the EPA selected remedy involves the stabilization of over a quarter-million cu.yds. of oily sludges, followed by their placement and compaction in a capped containment cell. PNL negotiated the detailed scope of this remedy with US EPA during 2010, and 2011. Extensive treatability testing activities were performed to prove the feasibility of stabilizing the wastes. In 2011, PNL managed all aspects of EPC resource selection. We completed negotiations on a SOW and contract for the remedial action phase. During 2012 we anticipate implementation of the Remedial Design/Remedial Action phase, during which PNL will expand its services to include Construction Management.
Health and Safety Metrics
- Total 2007 Contractor and Subcontractor Work Hours: Approximately 1500 hours (all of this work was storm water management and hurricane response related)
- OSHA Recordables: 0
- Lost Time/Lost Work Day Incidents: 0
- Emergency Action Near Miss Reports: 0
- Selected FS alternative is onsite solidification of waste, construction of RCRA cell and monitored natural attenuation of groundwater
- EPA will defend this selection at a national remedy review board
- Potential NRD costs are in the $1MM to $10MM range
- The site’s storm levee, damaged during Hurricane Ike, will be repaired
- Project Navigator is performing as Project Oversight/Coordinator.
- URS is RI/FS contractor.
- Entrix is NRD consultant
- Project is Federal lead by EPA
- Monthly meetings and/or conference call with MCP led by Project Navigator.
- Working with Scenic Galveston on eventual acquisition of property, post remediation