Former National Zinc Smelter Site
Formerly one of the largest zinc smelters in the US, PNL performed work as the Owners’ Representative on the site performing contractor oversight on construction to remediate the approximately 130 acre site according to Kansas Department of Health and Environment industrial use specifications. Work involved excavation and consolidation of approximately 100,000 cubic yards of metal impacted slag in an onsite disposal area and backfill of the excavation with clean fill obtained from nearby borrow sources. PNL reviewed work in the field performing oversight and tracking excavation progress metrics during the remedial action. A major benefit to the clients was realized by PNL when it was observed that portions of the site had an existing cap eliminating the need to excavate and consolidate this material. After completion of the work in 2007, PNL continues to provide support for ongoing operations and maintenance as well as perform additional investigation work involving smelter related impacts peripheral to the site.
- On-site oversight present throughout remediation
- Identified previously capped area saving removal of additional 8 acres
- Confirmation of material quantities an QA/QC
- On-going O&M support for site O&M with constuction contractor since 2007
- Stakeholder interaction maintained by clients
- Participation by PNL in meeting presentation and interaction with KDHE.